Custom Search

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Minnesota

Just spent a week in my lovely home-state. It is also the birth place of Bob Dylan, Winona Rider, and Prince.

With all the traveling I haven't got any torch time in so I'd thought I'd share some of my favorite Minnesota places.

Glass of course first...



First place where I fueled my glass addiction




My mom also sent me a link to The Studio at Rush Creek in Maple Grove, Minnesota. Looks like they have some awesome classes.

While your in Maple Grove you can stop for some yummy sandwiches where I used to work- CG Ham's

I spent a lot of time in Minneapolis going to concerts at First Ave (In the Movie Purple Rain for all you Prince fans) and the Quest Club, which was started by Prince as the Glam Slam, and is now known as Epic Night Club.

The Cedar Cultural Center is also pretty awesome. It features music from around the world and is a short walk from Hard times Cafe, a grungy vegan-vegetarian cafe where I used to go sit and drink coffee and play chess with some interesting individuals.

I also used to frequent the Weiman Museum.

image from Nerd Girl Blogging

Pretty cool building huh?

The shops in Uptown are fun, and there is an Art Fair there every summer. I also used to eat at Chang Mai Thai there... mmmm pad thai.

And what is a tour of Minneapolis without the cherry-in-the-spoon?
image from http://garden.walkerart.org

13 comments:

teasinglydiverse said...

the spoon! :D love it! I went to college in Iowa and I'd say 50% of my friends were from MN...we migrated up north to the cities pretty frequently.
That license plate cracked me up...I could hear it in my head :)

Valerie said...

Minnesotans have an accent all their own- they also like to say "for cute"- they also think they're way superior to Iowans!

Mr. Condescending said...

hah, awesome! love the cherry in the spoon. I wanna eat that cherry >x<

Young Mom/Wife said...

You just made me want to go to Minnesota for a vacation! I now want to visit all of the attractions you mentioned. It was like a cooler version of those tour guide books. =)

Valerie said...

aw so sweet... I'm blushing!

Krysten said...

Oh I love the sculpture gardens! So much fun!

Lil Miss Tabs said...

Welcome back! I wish I could visit the states soon! Looks like you had loads of fun :) And I would loooove to try that vegan-vegetarian cafe!

Mrs. MidAtlantic said...

That spoon is crazy!! Thanks for voting in my poll :-)

Andhari said...

Minnesota, is that where Atmosphere from, yes?
I love, love, love them.

Valerie said...

@Condescending, Krysten, and MidAtlantic- I knew I could suck you in with the Cherry and the spoon! This is all anyone would want to see when they'd visited me while I still lived there...

@Tab- Thanks! The Cafe is really great and is open 22 hours and has crazy people in it. I once read a David Sedaris book there cover to cover.

Andhari- Yes! I was really into them shortly after 'God loves ugly' came out, and was lucky enough to see them preform at some festival a couple years later

Krysten & Dustin Hartenstein said...

Tag, you're it!

Open your FIRST photo folder.

Now find the TENTH picture.

Post that picture on your blog and then tell us the story of the picture!

The tag FIVE friends and have them do the same!

Valerie said...

Oh no- that's my naughty photo folder. jk!... alright, getting to work...

noelle said...

I do have to say that on the one time I was in MN, every single person was super friendly. Nicest people I have ever met. A wonderful state to be from!

PS. The Cohen brothers are also from MN!